Did you know that you can choose how to pay for SEO campaigns in Kenya? Well, you have about 3 options that you can choose from. You can either choose to pay hourly, monthly or per given project. The choice is yours.
Find out below how you can do that.
The topic on how SEO is priced has been widely over the past years and yet the debate has not been settled yet. This is not unique to Kenya, but the concept being relatively new in the country sparks so many questions. Search Engine Optimization is generally a long term strategy and many clients are normally put off by the idea and begin questioning its profitability after a few weeks or months.
Here are some quick facts about search engine optimization in Kenya:
- SEO is one of the best online marketing techniques that you can use in Kenya.
- SEO is a long term strategy and has an impressive ROI
- SEO is not cheap, but it can be made affordable
- Google has the largest market share in terms of online searched in Kenya followed by Bing and Yahoo at a distant
- Bing and Yahoo ranking is equally important as they collectively command about 30% of the market share
- It is not wise to only use Search Engine Optimization and completely ignore other forms of online marketing
- Not everyone who claims to be an SEO expert in Kenya is actually one
This is because each model of payment always has different pros and cons and what might work for one business cannot necessarily work for the other. To better understand how to pay for SEO for your business, let’s take a look at what each payment option has to offer:
Hourly SEO Payment
Most businesses would definitely fall for the hourly SEO payment model since the offers seem quantifiable and straightforward. There is however more to it that needs to be looked into. The amount of money that an SEO firm will charge is largely dependent on the size of the firm, the services they provide, their reputation and their location to some extent. To understand this model more, you need to have a look at the positive and negative aspects.
The Pros of Hourly SEO
The following are some of the pros of going the hourly payment way:
- High level of transparency: It is easier to keep track of all the aspects of SEO campaign to your website. For this, you can check after every hour.
- Time allocation is easy: This is even more helpful if you have a specific deadline to meet. Also, it can help you if you need to have a limited amount for a time devoted to a different of your SEO.
- You can set the rate: With hourly payment of SEO, you can easily set the rate of payment, especially if you are running of a limited budget.
- You may get a breakdown of costs incurred: Hourly rates make it easier to monitor the costs and get a breakdown of the total costs if you need them.
The Cons of Hourly SEO
The following are some of the cons of hourly SEO:
- Results are not seen faster: Most companies have no idea that SEO requires time for the results to start showing. This may make many people upset if they have to pay for the hourly rates and yet see no results.
- Bills might escalate: Hourly rates can escalate the bills especially if the work required to optimize your business is more that what you initially thought.
- Fewer hours to account for: In case there are service fees that are associated with the SEO strategy required by your business, getting the hourly payment plan may make you end up with few business hours to account for.
- Not Very Realistic: With SEO being a long term strategy, hourly payment and monitoring is not very realistic. It would be a tiresome to track a project every hour. The focus should always be for the broader picture. This model works well for individuals who already understand finer details about search engine optimization but do not have the time to do the actual work required to improve the website.
Monthly SEO Payment
This is the most common pricing model, although it might shift if the current buzz on hourly payment continues. With this type of payment, clients are simply expected to pay an established fee each month in return for the array of SEO services. This plan is usually best with firms that are looking into a longer term approach to SEO. There are pros and cons to this type of payment model as well.
The Pros of Monthly SEO Payment
The following are the pros of monthly payment:
- You get unlimited hours: Monthly plans ensure that the SEO firms you are attached to delegate unlimited hours to get results for your business.
- No excuse for lack of results: With this pan, the SEO firm usually has more time to do SEO for your business and therefore there is no excuse when the results fail to show especially if they had done projections.
- No ‘clocking out’ required: You will not have to worry about the SEO firm clocking out after the hourly rates are exceeded. They also do not have to check their watch all the time to see if the rates have been exceeded.
- Better relationship with the SEO firm: The monthly rates give you an opportunity to develop a long term relationship. This will help you synchronize your efforts for success.
- Hourly discussions not necessary: Monthly payments save you the agony of having to review every hour to see what was accomplished.
- Detailed report: Although you don’t get to review the developments every hour, you still get to have a detailed report after every month to see how much effort has been devoted on each task.
The Cons of Monthly Payment Plan
- The needs for each month vary: Some months may have a heavy workload than others because the months vary. When this occurs, you may end up feeling like you are paying more for less on the months that have a lighter work load.
- The client might feel they are not getting value for their money: SEO is not magic and it takes time to actually start seeing the results. The client might start feeling like they are not getting their money’s worth if they do not get any updates.
- Monthly payment plan is more binding: Hourly rates are easier to adjust or even terminate when problems arise but that is not the same with monthly payment model. Usually the client and SEO firm are bound in a contract and termination must just be done as per the conditions stipulated on the contract.
Project Based SEO
This type of SEO is offered by most firms that offer monthly payment plans. SEO firms can use this as an introduction of their service to new clients. It gives more time for a firm to accomplish its goals yet still have a set date to finish the project.
It can also be used for short term maintenance of a particular aspect of SEO like mobile optimization among others.
The Pros of Project based SEO
The following are some of the pros of project based SEO:
- Easy to set a budget: with project based SEO, all you need is to set a lump sum for the entire project. It helps you in maintaining a fixed and predictable budget for SEO without having an ongoing payment plan.
- The payment structure is clear: Project based SEO makes it easier for you to know what you are paying for with no surprises in future. It is either the project is complete or not.
- You can focus on one aspect at a time: Project SEO is good to work on a particular area that needs help. You simply need to find out where your weakness lies and invest in it.
- The timeline is more straightforward: It is easier to establish particular project goals in mind when working with project based SEO. Work hand in hand with the SEO firm and establish how much time needed to reach the given goals.
The Cons of Project based SEO
- You might be overcharged: This might happen if you are naive on SEO matters and happen to find an agency that takes advantage of client’s naivety.
- Lack of flexibility: Project based SEO come with a set of predefined parameters that make it difficult to make changes whenever they arise. It may cost you more money if you need you changes to be incorporated.
There you have it. Based on the points above, you can now make a decision confidently on the type of SEO payment you will go with. However, it is important to note that all the models can work. It solely depends on your budget and the kind of work that you have at hand.